Skip to main content

I can taste that ice cream now.


Someone is going to pay.

Here's how my new rule works:  If you ask me a question and it's something that I need a few moments to look up, and then, before I have a chance to do it, you say "Oh, never mind, it's okay" and walk away, you owe me a dollar.  Upon accumulating three or four of these (it shouldn't take more than a week), I will then proceed to the nearest Dairy Queen to soothe my soul (see illustration above).


You can ask me a hundred questions and I will go after the information just like the dog in the "Lycos! Go get it!" commercials from the 1990s.  I know where to go and where to look, and am not the least put out at being asked to find stuff out for you. I like finding stuff out. Makes me feel smart.

I don't like being stopped before I even have a chance to get started, especially for no good reason.

People pull this crap on me several times a week at work, and I don't get it. I don't use resistant body language; I don't make a face and throw my pen down in annoyance at the interruption. My typical response is "Sure, give me a second to look it up." Is there something wrong with that? Is it a problem that I can't magically produce the information in a split-second without going online, or to a file or other reference source?

When Moe asked me where a particular customer was located and I started to go into the database to find it, he said "No -- it's okay, I know they're in this town and that's all I need." So if he knew that, why did he ask in the first place? I went into the database anyway and found that they have two locations in town.  I waited for Moe to come back from the bathroom, where he'd retreated as he retracted the question. But just then, the phone rang, and Moe slipped out the door, apparently bound for the customer's location. I hung up the phone thinking I hope you get lost. I hope you get a flat tire and it starts raining and the cops come and give you a citation for blocking the road, and I want a dollar and I'm going to use it to buy ice cream, you big pain in the butt.
Wouldn't it be great if we had the nerve to say what we're really thinking?

I could really use a mint Oreo Blizzard right about now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…