Skip to main content

...Then again, maybe it was you, Mom

                                    

My mother had the kind of face that made her a prime target for comparisons with various celebrities, most notably Susan Hayward.

Other times, Ida Lupino.
                                          
I didn't agree too much with Ida Lupino, after watching all those prison movies she was in, as the sadistic matron. 
                                 

Finally, as Mom headed into her fifties and sixties, a co-worker had the nerve to say she looked like Ruth Gordon.
                                 

Mom was horrified, though someone who didn't know her in the "Hayward" years could maybe be forgiven for this one.

Anyway...
My mom passed away in 1990. Nine years later, Carl's mother gradually became ill to the point that she was placed in a nursing home. This facility was a dump, and worse, but there were enough adult kids and spouses in the family to form a united front of sorts, keeping up the steady stream of visitors that is often the only thing standing between a nursing-home patient and mistreatment or neglect. Miss Laura Mae was utterly blind by that time, and in quite a bit of pain, so our visits consisted of sitting by her bed, attempting to make conversation. But there were lots of distractions, since patients wandered up and down the hallways and staff members spoke loudly, to the patients and to each other.

During one of these visits, I glanced out into the corridor and saw a woman passing by. She stopped when she got to our door, looked into the room, met my gaze and smiled. It made her face light up and she looked a lot like Ruth Gordon in the photo above. Distractedly, I thought She looks like Ruth Gordon ... Ruth Gordon looked like Mom.  This woman looks like Mom. And just as I finished making the connection, the woman outside the door did the most interesting thing. She smiled even more brightly ...and then she blew me a kiss. That was all. She continued on her way, but in the midst of all the sadness and worry about Carl's mom, it was as though my mom had made a brief appearance, just to say, Hey, honey, you're not alone, and things always get better eventually. I love you.

It made those visits to the nursing home much more bearable from that point on.
~
Happy Mother's Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

American Lottery

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
America elected a Black man as President of the Unites States. Twice!  Black people did not do this.  If all the black people voted for Barack Obama, he would only get 13 percent of the vote.  Throw in the Hispanics, the brown ones, not the white ones, and the vote would bloom to 21 percent. Not enough.  So it was the white Americans who elected Barack Obama. 

It is slowly becoming clearer why they would do that instead of electing the other white guy who ran against Barack Obama.  Obama stood for change.  His campaign slogan was "Change we can believe in" and "Yes We Can".  The white people wanted him to change America to bring back their good old days. 

There is a trend here starting with Barack Obama, the election of an improbable candidate, a black man, by white people in a unresolved racially divided America, who spoke of hope, change and an improved America ... to …