Skip to main content

Driverless Car? Someone explain this to me, please!



I heard about this a few months back:  Google had launched a remote-controlled driverless car that traveled across two or three states, and lawmakers are falling all over themselves in a rush to ... outlaw them?

No!  Don't be silly!  Everybody thinks they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, apparently!

Well, whoop de doo.

As for me, and Groucho,


That's the craziest thing I ever heard.

Okay, yes, we all know that plenty of cars would probably do a much better job at driving themselves than the people who [think they] know how to operate them.

And yes, the other day at work, I thought about how nice it would be to program my Chevy to take me home so I could fall asleep at the wheel and not have to fight it by singing off-key, drumming on the steering wheel, or screaming my senseless commentary back at NPR.

But really, c'mon now, a driverless car?

In a vain attempt to think of some really good uses to which such a thing could be put, it did occur to me that parents could use a driverless car to chauffeur the children to their endless lineup of extracurricular activities and spare themselves having to listen to the kids arguing in the back seat, all the while hanging back at home and whipping up a decent family dinner.

Yeah, maybe.

Or, you could send your driverless car out to a fast-food restaurant with an envelope containing your food selection and enough money to pay for it, while you stay home and take a shower or noodle on the internet.

Or, you could send the driverless car across town with some item that your BFF needs to borrow, and stay home in bed with the flu (or your hair in curlers, or your honey).

~But~

The same logic of convenience would equally serve your friendly neighborhood terrorist in "delivering" a big ol' bomb to the nearest government office.

I tossed this one out to a co-worker the other day, and he said "Nope, it wouldn't count for martyrdom."

Maybe not.

Let's hope.

This driverless car thing makes me nervous.

Your input is welcome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…