Skip to main content

Oldie, 3/3/09: Happy Six

My friend Michele has challenged me to share 6 things that make me happy. This isn't terribly difficult -- last month the subject of happiness was everywhere. The church I attend had a 3-part series, and another online venue that I frequent had a similar challenge. That one was to describe one thing that makes you happy for eight days in a row and tag 8 others. This is a scaled-down version.

My Sextet of Happiness, in no particular order:

1. My family. This is actually one of those "subset A/subset B" types of things, since we are not the most cohesive unit. But while my son and husband occupy separate and distant galaxies in my universe, I catch myself "lighting up" at an unexpected encounter with either. They have both given me support, nurturance, inspiration and purpose in my life.

2. Writing. I don't draw (or even doodle), paint, craft, sculpt or compose; all my pictures and tangible concepts involve the English language on a page. If I ever stop scribbling, someone had better take my pulse. I'd generally rather write than eat.

3. Freedom. You know it when you've got it, and when you haven't. I suspect this a more common and universal state for humanity than many of us realize. Is it possible to be happy when you lack freedom (however you may define it)? And conversely, is it possible to be completely miserable when you own a sense of control over your circumstances? Freedom can be as "macro" as the right to assemble or express an opinion, and as "micro" as the ability to swivel your desk chair in a circle without banging your knee on something.

4. Laughter. Sometimes it's absurd physical comedy (admit it, at some time or other, Chris Farley doing the Chippendales can and will make you smile, however briefly), scathing social commentary a la George Carlin, or a simple, unintended Spoonerism. I'll take 'em all. I'll even take the ones where somebody peers at me disapprovingly over the tops of their eyeglasses and says "That's not funny at all." You're right, it's not. But for a second or two, in another dimension, it was.

5. Intelligence. I don't mean the ability to perform quadratic equations from memory or even to articulate the origins of life in the universe. Intelligence, for me, is when reason prevails, especially when people reach out to each other, think beyond their own self-interest and make something happen that keeps things moving forward and brings hope for the future. The Innocence Project is just one example.

6. Music. Goes with laughter and writing. Life would be meaningless and empty without any of those.

There are too many of you out there to limit a tag to 6, so consider the question of what makes you happy and post something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.