Skip to main content

Culture Shock and Career Musings

 


I spend a significant portion of every week reading articles via feed from The New Republic, The Atlantic, and others. I "know from" good writing, you might say. So there was quite the cognitive shift yesterday when I settled in for a lengthy wait at the doctor's office and had to choose some reading material.

I had my Web-capable cell phone with me, but that particular office gets little to no reception, so I had to turn to the magazine rack in the corner. After thumbing through the January issue of Money, my next field of choices was a very narrow one. It consisted of two issues of, well, let's just call it The Glob.
If TNR is written for an 11th-grade reading level, and Money aims for more like 7th or 8th grade, then The Glob appeals toward approximately 4th or 5th grade. Small words, short paragraphs, lots of pictures. Lots of schoolyard judgments, too. Adjectives galore, with very little to support them. 

It was nice to hear my name called so I could abandon my perusal and save a few brain cells. Nice to get home and say hi to Marty Peretz and Conor Friedorsdorf again.

But it did cross my mind:  I could write like that if I wanted to.  I mean, on Facebook, I share giggles with friends about the feasibility of banishing Rush Limbaugh to an imaginary land called Douchebagistan. That's juvenile enough; all I need to do is set my sights lower and aim them at innocent celebrities. I can indict Paula Deen for eating a cheeseburger in public just as well as anyone else can. I have credentials, too -- my late grandmother taught me everything I need to know about watching soap operas and labeling the characters and the actors who portrayed them in broad, black-and-white terms.  "He's up to no good -- you can just see it in his face," she'd announce. Or "That sow! She needs to get run over by a bus, before she can ruin Jennifer's life.  Poor little Jennifer!"  Maybe that's where that fuzzy nostalgic feeling came from yesterday -- reading The Glob made me feel like I was communing with Grandma. 

I know people who write for tabloids make decent money. I could do that sort of thing freelance, in my spare time. In my sleep.  All I'd have to do is rent out a storage unit and lock away my self-respect for awhile...

Comments

You could ... but please don't. I would rather read your well-written analyses of reading material in waiting rooms.
Kay Dennison said…
LOL I understand and identify completely!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…