Skip to main content

Sunday, April 8




Another quickly dashed-off post, to avoid getting bogged down in attempts to say everything "just right."

Big news: The Scorpion Queen has been fired. For those who might be new to this blog, The Scorpion Queen (aka TSQ, aka Cruella) was my supervisor for just over three years. She often made my life miserable, to the point that when I was transferred to an out-of-state location, turning my 10-minute commute into 45 minutes, I was happy about it. She is a brilliant accountant with exemplary work habits and zero people skills.


About a year and a half ago I saw her name on the corporate organization chart, beneath the name of a new manager -- female. I remember thinking "Hmm. This oughta be interesting." TSQ frequently talked about how she was "terrified" of her father and "terrified" of any and all older, stern, militaristic male managers she worked for at this company and previous ones. And she had a very difficult time dealing with assertive female subordinates, such as myself, who were willing to put up with only so much of her crap. I was not the only one of those. Marilyn, a woman about 10 years older than me (who recently retired), transferred to another department to get out from under TSQ's thumb. I took it as an encouraging sign that I was transferred to another location, rather than being fired, at a time when people were being laid off left and right.

Unfortunately, even 40 miles away, I still had to deal with her when it came to collecting overdue payments from customers. Many of these customers had been in business longer than she'd been creeping about upon the face of the earth, and made up a substantial portion of our revenue. And yet, she had no problem putting many of these customers on credit hold for minor delinquencies, thereby jeopardizing our current and future business relationships with them. We are hardly the only game in town, and her decisions made the sales department's jobs that much more difficult.

I don't know the specific issue that caused the conflict between TSQ and her new boss, but there was one. She was shown the door on a Friday, and the announcement made the following Tuesday. It caused a serious dispute among the staff, which could not agree as to whether the appropriate theme music for this event was "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead" or "O Happy Day."

Comments

Sometimes there really is justice in the universe. Huzzah!

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…