Skip to main content

Ten Tweets, and Why

                                               

For awhile, I had my Twitter feed on this blog, but then it started coming up squiggly and I took it off, not having time to investigate the problem. Sooner or later, I hope to get it reinstalled, but it occurred to me that it might be worth noting what sorts of things go on there.

Simply put, I use it to tattle. My most stridently liberal self lives on my Twitter page. Or, I should say, one of them. I've got four right now. One is for the church, so it's not really mine, but I'm the only one who posts with any regularity. One is for Lecter fanfiction. One is what I call my "vanilla page." It's got my full name and is wide open; I follow local businesses (including the company I work for) and occasionally post self-improvement type stuff and innocuous fluff.

This main page is where I go in hopes of getting people fired up. My passions are atheism, feminism, anti-equality, Congressional idiocy and people just being mean and thinking they can get away with it. Sometimes just clever, ironic, funny stuff that deserves to be shared -- mostly retweets; my original thoughts are few and far between, snarky vents here and there.

So what have I tattled about lately?




Why? I relate to the Millennials because my son is one. Social media and rock 'n' roll have forged something of a bond between us Boomers and our young, in a way that it never could have happened between our Greatest Gen parents and us ... but in some areas, the gulf of sensibility is still very wide indeed. I pay close attention to trends involving these young adults.


Kind of self-explanatory, I suppose. I've never been a science whiz, but the intersection of politics and science interests me, especially in light of all these very highly paid and influential elected officials who prefer to wallow in ignorance, rejecting science in favor of folklore.



Edward Snowden, Julian Assange, Bradley Manning...imperfect, maybe even a bit warped upstairs. But secret-keeping and high-tech domestic spying make a lot of Americans uneasy, especially when it goes on for a long, long time without anyone taking a second look. I like to think we can intuit the difference between one of these guys and someone like Robert Philip Hanssen, who really did spy and give away sensitive information to the the bad guys.

People like me, who are completely or mostly atheist, are very much inclined to assume that intensely religious people have run off the rails somewhere. Stories of terrorism overseas and horrific child abuse on our own shores have us first shaking our heads in disgust and then nodding them with a roll of the eyes and a "There they go again." So it was easy to catch the headline above and smirk... but it really is a good article that addresses the issue thoroughly and objectively.

I just like sharing good news...

  • RT: Forced marriages: School holidays prompt warning < BBC too afraid to even mention religion once in this.
The divide between the West and the more patriarchal cultures of Africa, Asia and the middle east is a subject that has interested me for decades. I keep an eye on the UK press, since they have a much greater proportion of immigrants in their population. I like to see what the issues are and how the thinking evolves regarding how to deal with them. The secondary issue of how the media treat religion is, of course, a big one for me as well.

We all run the risk of letting ourselves get paranoid when we read stories like this... but there's still a middle ground between wearing a tinfoil hat and being among the last to figure out what was going on. I was in the naive camp as a young teen during the Watergate years. Disillusionment stings, folks.

This is a re-shared oldie (3 months) about a local politician who illustrates perfectly how the evangelical right-wing concocts its own variety of Christianity, at the expense of the poor.

Many of us seem so fearful of being sacrilegious we even refuse to challenge/question folk lore. When we don't question we don't think

Happy to RT this one. A good expression of a UU's dilemma: Do we tolerate intolerance?

Mitch McConnell has led 420 filibusters as Minority Leader and is self-declared "guardian of gridlock." THIS IS WHY AMERICA HATES CONGRESS

I dislike McConnell so much, I mute the volume on my car radio when NPR broadcasts his voice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And there's my 10 Tweets. This was fun; I'll do it again soon.

Comments

Mildred Ratched said…
I wanted to thank you for the comment you left on my blog by returning the favor. I can see by this entry we may have a few things in common, but I have to admit I no longer tweet. Being wired into the vast network of social media does have its advantages, but it's so time consuming that I felt I had to give something the old heave-ho.
Anonymous said…
“The very beginning of Genesis tells us that God created man in order to give him dominion over fish and fowl and all creatures. Of course, Genesis was written by a man, not a horse. There is no certainty that God actually did grant man dominion over other creatures. What seems more likely, in fact, is that man invented God to sanctify the dominion that he had usurped for himself over the cow and the horse.”
― Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Anonymous said…
@US Military Caught Manipulating Social Media

There is a worse threat than government secrets -- Family Secrets.

Family secrets threaten all of civilization not to mention destroying families too. The core of all civilization is the family unit. If we are keeping secrets from each other, then how can we trust each other and create families? How do you really know if your sister is really your sister, or that your mother is really your mother? Once the trust is broken it cannot be repaired except by extreme action -- kill yourself so that your sister can get your transplanted organs.

If we revealed all our secrets, we will not have the same family nor friends but we will have better family and friends. We will have those who would accept that we are humans and have lots of strengths to be praised and lots of weakness to be forgiven. Our lives would have less drama, be peaceful, and fulfilling. That will be too boring a life for some so, turn to TV to get your dose of drama.

"Stand upright and tell the truth" -- Voltaire.
Vol-E said…
Thank you, Anonymous! I happen to love Milan Kundera -- have you read his novel Immortality?

You do have a point about family secrets. What happens is, people internalize them. If your family is prone to drama and secrets, you never know any differently. The intrigue really starts when people marry into other families -- then they either bring all the baggage with them and share it out, or leave it at the old homestead to rot in the attic until the last resident dies and the place gets pulled down by the city.

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

American Lottery

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
America elected a Black man as President of the Unites States. Twice!  Black people did not do this.  If all the black people voted for Barack Obama, he would only get 13 percent of the vote.  Throw in the Hispanics, the brown ones, not the white ones, and the vote would bloom to 21 percent. Not enough.  So it was the white Americans who elected Barack Obama. 

It is slowly becoming clearer why they would do that instead of electing the other white guy who ran against Barack Obama.  Obama stood for change.  His campaign slogan was "Change we can believe in" and "Yes We Can".  The white people wanted him to change America to bring back their good old days. 

There is a trend here starting with Barack Obama, the election of an improbable candidate, a black man, by white people in a unresolved racially divided America, who spoke of hope, change and an improved America ... to …