Skip to main content

The Footballer's Wife



                                                   

This is a guest post from The Urban Blabbermouth. Comments are welcome.
~
I am watching pre-season football and my beloved wife goes "Yuck" and runs out of the room.  She does not like football.  I don't know why.

I like football.  I like to watch the beginning and the end of games.  The middle tends to get dull.  In the beginning, I find out how competitive the team are, who will play well, and it sets the pattern for the rest of the game.  I watch the end to find out who won and why.  I see a recap of the best plays and the stupid mistakes.  This game that I am watching is now in the middle and has reached the dull part.  More repeat of what has gone on before. It's a strategy the teams use to pass the time, waiting until that time near the end to make their winning moves.  Sooo, it's a good time to write one of these rants and to bring out the "sports is life" metaphor.


Sports is better than other entertainment shows.  It's a complete replica of a better life.  Unlike life, you get the beginning,  the middle, and the end of the story in three hours and unlike other entertainment shows, it is not fiction but is real life with success and failure that cannot be changed with a script re-write.

The athletes are people with real lives.  They aspire to greatness, to excel and use their God given talent in a sport.  I too aspire to greatness, to excel, and have yet to learn the talent that God gave me.  They went to school to study their craft.  They graduated Magna Cum Laude in sport while I was happy just to graduate.  The athletes are hired into the professional athlete ranks.  I got a job.

In the end, and the end does come rather quickly for athletes, we all see the results of that hard work, talent, learning, and practice pay off in great sporting success.  Sporting success is quickly apparent. You play well or you don't.  It is quickly obvious to all us fans and to your coaches if you can play.  No waiting years to see the results.  If you cannot play, you are replaced...dumped into the rubbish heap.

Not like that in life, is it?  I have to wait 20 or 30 years to find out if I have made it past all of life's success benchmarks.  If I cannot play, I do get to move on to another chance and to try again, and again, and again.  Over the next 30 years, I can change jobs, change wives, change locations, and while harder, change kids.

Luckily, I do have 30 years to try.  Few of us have it in us if we only had one or two years to meet life's success benchmarks.  You, and everyone else too, would know, all too soon,  that you do not have it in you to be great.  Replaced...dumped into the rubbish heap.

Boy, I am so slow.  It took a long time to write this.  Looks like the game is now past the dull part.

Comments

Vol-E said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vol-E said…
HBO had a great special back in the 1980s called "Disposable Heroes." Did you ever see it? Quite an indictment of pro (and by extension, college) football.
The Urban Blabbermouth said…
I did not see it. Must have been heartbreaking. We, as fans, are part of the problem. We care more about the game than we do the players.

I heard that some ex-players are suiting the NCAA to get a piece of the HUGE money made on college football. Heard that some college coaches are paid millions while the athletes are punished for taking small money to pay their bills.

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.