Skip to main content

Women are from Mars

This is a guest post by The Urban Blabbermouth. Comments are welcome!

Womens-boxing.jpg

“Looking down at my bodice, the fool relaxes. Are men truly such idiots that they cannot resist two orbs of flesh?” From Grave Mercy by Robin LeFevers. A fantasy novel about a female assassin.

The assassin got it wrong. It is true that men can’t resist but not for the expected reason that we are letting our second brain dominate us. It is just that we do not see women as dangerous. If women are not a danger to us then it is OK to succumb to the temptations of the "two orbs of flesh."

This idea of judging a situation by danger goes back a long way in human history.
For a long time, men’s physical strength was necessary for everyone's survival. Physical strength was important in hunting deer, elk, bison and the like or in fighting off attacking lions and the troublesome neighbors. Men came to view any beast or man who was bigger and faster as a danger. Anyone smaller and slower was not a danger. Despite how dangerous women may think themselves, women fall into the latter category. The traditional roles of males as warriors and women as nurturers only reinforces this belief that women are not a danger.

Now, this novel takes place some eight hundred or more years ago. In those days, the top of the social and economic classes were the warriors in one form or another, either as knights or as simple footmen. Physical strength to wield a sword on the battlefield was necessary to success. Women lacked the strength for sword fighting so again, men did not think them dangerous. Brawn over brains -- that is what the assassin got wrong. By-the-way, farmers at the bottom of the social classes had the strength but not the skill for sword fighting so they got picked on by the warriors.

Interestingly, today the situation is different. One of the many functions of civilization is to compensate for human weaknesses. Our current civilization is structured so that physical strength is less important. There are many tools available, for example cars with power steering, to help those who lack physical strength. We now have women warriors. No longer is the physical strength to wield a sword on the battlefield necessary when you can use the Army’s M-16 rifle to conquer your opponents. Brawn over brains still holds and can be seen in some sporting events like javelin where men still significantly throw longer distances than women. You can see how this duality would lead to lots of confusion about the capabilities of women.

The "two orbs of flesh" criticism is often heard today. Maybe it is not that modern men are being idiots and letting their second brain dominate but that modern men have not yet completely adjusted to the idea that one does not need physical strength to be dangerous. These days, intelligence and cunning are of greater value.

So then how can men's minds be changed? Well, women will have to demonstrate their dangerous side and match men in heinous behavior. I suppose that when we have many more women serial killers and James Patterson starts writing novels about them, men will come to realize how dangerous women can be. Now that's equality.


Comments

Vol-E said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.