Skip to main content

Heads UP!!!

                                           

My son's grandmother had a pet peeve, which has since become one of mine.

We'd watch a major-league baseball game, and she'd say "Look at them! Where were they raised? Don't they know that when you listen to the National Anthem, you stand at attention? They're saluting the flag, for pete's sake. If they were in the army, they'd stand at attention to salute the flag, or an officer. So what's with this head-bowing? They need to go back to school!"


Either that, or a time machine. We old-schoolers remember well that "stand at attention" was standard etiquette for saluting the flag and listening to patriotic songs. Hand over the heart, head raised, eyes toward the flag... Hats off for guys, of course. And woe unto anyone who didn't get the memo.

For Granny, school days were in the 1920s and 1930s, when patriotism was a very big deal. She was first-generation American; both her parents had come over from southern Europe. And in the 1960s, when I got my education, teachers were mainly from her era, so the lesson was handed down.

In addition, where I grew up, religion stayed in the background. Most people in my neck of the woods were either Catholic or Jewish. Worship was on the Sabbath (Saturday or Sunday, depending); public school was Monday through Friday, and it was secular. People didn't say grace at the school lunch table, and rarely said it in their homes, if my circle of acquaintances was any indication. So there wasn't a lot of head-bowing on the average day. 

Things have changed quite a bit since those innocent days. When the "religious right" began to flex its public muscle in the late 1970s, there was a lot of insistence that everything that was wrong in the U.S. could be traced to the Supreme Court putting the kibosh on religious exercises (prayer and bible study) in the public schools. You wouldn't know it to listen to the average preacher, but many kids all over the U.S. breathed an enormous sigh of relief back in the early 1960s. They no longer had to follow one standard during school and another with their families. Students no longer had glaring proof of religious differences between themselves and their classmates, and most students really didn't care about religion. Their parents didn't seem to, either. It was nice for kids to stay in class, rather than feeling compelled to stand out in the hallway while everybody else said prayers. Imagine how it must have been for teachers, no longer having to double as preachers.

As a Catholic, I fell under the "release time for religious instruction" law that came up as a compromise. An hour or so before school officially ended on Tuesday, I'd leave Northside, hop on a bus, and be driven to St. Bernard's, where I'd sit in a different (much more orderly) classroom and hear all about Jesus. We started that class with prayer, and yes, we bowed our heads then. And that was that, until either the following Tuesday, or the next Sunday -- if our family bothered going to mass. Many, many weekends, we didn't.

It was only after moving to the south that I discovered how unshakeable the grip of religion still was on public school students. Sure, math, science and reading standards were dropping like stones, but nobody was interested in that, as long as there was an opportunity for "See you at the flagpole" or a nice controversy over slogans on t-shirts or a debate over evolution being taught in science class. I've been to church (the old-timey kind) down in Georgia and Tennessee, and sorry, it isn't so much fun that you want to do it 7 days a week. 

But a vocal minority of parents sincerely believe that it is, and rather than make the financial sacrifice and enroll their kids in a private religious school, they send their kids to a public school and work tirelessly to make them (and everybody else's kids) feel right at home, like they've never left church. Now it's virtually impossible to visit any public school in the south without being exposed to some form of religion. In many cases, it's blatant. My son's high school Spanish teacher one year filled class time with videotapes of her pastor preaching sermons -- in English. She'd say "Praise Jesรบs" anytime a student gave a correct answer. Most assemblies involved a guest preacher exhorting the students about abstinence, tithing, or the need to resist "spiritual oppression." After 9/11, the mix was expanded to welcome military recruiters and veterans, who would invariably lead off with prayer, and then go on to contrast "good American Christians .... and Jews, yes, we mustn't forget Jews" with "terroristic godless Muslims." I'm sure there are plenty of public school kids in the south whose Muslim parents (devout or otherwise) coached them to say they were Lebanese Christians and go along with the crowd.

More recently, we've seen controversy in which public-school coaches and cheerleaders have been asked to refrain from displaying banners with bible verses or leading Christian prayer over the loudspeakers. They've been asked because of costly lawsuits being brought by groups that believe equal public education means not imposing anyone's subjective religious standards or tradition on others who may not be inclined to accept them.

But until we get back to sanity, many of these public-school kids who never learned the difference between a flag and a cross are going to go with the head-bow, and if you want to see what they look like, just switch on a MLB game and wait for the music to start.

Comments

The Urban Blabbermouth said…
I noticed the same thing sometime back while watching the NASCAR race. Did I remember this incorrectly? Turns out that some 10 years ago, Congress changed the law to require hand over the heart for the National Anthem. Don't know why Congress made a change this after some 70 years.
The Urban Blabbermouth said…
We have so many different religious groups here that the Schools do not know what to teach without offending somebody and jeopardizing some politician's reelection.
Vol-E said…
I checked several sites. Yes, Congress did change the law. Who knew?? But still no head-bowing. Here's a Dear Abby column:

DEAR ABBY: I was criticized recently for placing my right hand over my heart while the U.S. flag was flown and "The Star-Spangled Banner" was being sung. I was told that the hand over the heart is for the Pledge of Allegiance only, when the flag is present. Is that true, and what is the proper procedure?

- St. Louis Patriot

DEAR PATRIOT: No, it is not true. Whoever criticized you was ignorant of the Flag Code, as amended by the 94th Congress and approved July 7, 1976.

According to the code, "During the rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present...shall stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. ...When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the manner they would if the flag were displayed there."

And by the way, happy Flag Day...



Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/features/advice/123775254.html#ixzz2iJWedfG1
Follow us: @NewsHub on Twitter
Vol-E said…
I'm going to exercise my rights as an author/editor and delete references to the hand-over-heart vs. hands-at-your-sides debate, since it is irrelevant to the point I was trying to make. Comments will stay as they are.
I shouldn't be, but I am quite shocked by what I have just learned here about how deeply indoctrinated religion is in some schools in your country. I am aware, of course, of the massive power of the religious right, frightening as that may be, but didn't really consider where that indoctrination all begins.

Frightening.
Vol-E said…
Barbara, I may be a hopeless optimist, but it appears that the "massive power of the religious right" is waning now. They're not going down without a fight, obviously, but the Internet and outspoken entertainers such as Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have succeeded in focusing the attention of people far and wide on this phenomenon. Perhaps even more compelling than satire is the fact that the offspring of many of the movement's founders (Frank Schaeffer being my favorite example) are now leading the way back to the values that were more familiar to us in the 1960s.

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.