Skip to main content

New Marriages For Old

                             

Seems strange to me to be fussing about gay marriages when hetero marriages are in so much trouble.  It’s not like hetero married couples were so great at marriages in the first place. Maybe the anti-gay folks should forget about protesting gay marriage and instead spend their time and energy work on fixing hetero marriages.  Gay marriage will probably be small percentage of all marriages in the US if not the world.  Fixing hetero marriages would help more people than anything else the anti-gay marriage folks could do. 

Two well known hetero marriage problems are the fifty-percent divorce rate and that large numbers of young folks are starting families without bothering to get married. 

Gay marriages will not be immune from these two major hetero marriage problems.  Personally, I am waiting for the first really big celebrity gay marriage divorce that gets nasty and gossipy all over the front pages of the newspapers and will be the talk of late night comedy shows for months.  Imagine a custody battle that gets nasty and gossipy.
I am sure that raising children in a gay household is going to be as problematic for them as it is for hetero marriages.   

Hetero marriages also teach children about hetero relationships. The kids get relationship lessons from watching their parents. They see how their parents love each other and work out any relationship differences.  Specifically, hetero marriages teach kids how to relate to the opposite sex by watching how their parents do the same.  Given the fifty-percent divorce rate, I can only wonder how many hetero marriages do a good job of this. 

So what do you suppose kids will learn about relationships from gay parents?  How do you teach kids to relate to the opposite sex when both parents are the same sex?   We don’t know but we are going to find out over the next few generations.


Comments

The Urban Blabbermouth said…
A commentator said that the divorce rate is falling. Here are his reasons:
a) Less people are marrying so less people to divorce.
b) People are marrying at end of their twenties rather than the start of their twenties. The result is that a more mature person makes better decision is made in choice of a partner.
c) People are living together as couples then marrying later. This trial period does eliminate lots of bad choice of partners.

Maybe a solution is to have marriages that expire every five years. If there are children, the marriage will expire ten years from the birth of the youngest child. You can renew or not renew. That way your spouse will have to treat you better to keep married. You too will have to treat your spouse better to stay married.

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…