Friday, January 24, 2014

TV Wasteland

                                        

By The Urban Blabbermouth

I do waste a lot of time watching TV.  I cannot fathom any learning or any productive reason to watch Two and a Half Men.  If this was the only show like this that I watched, then, I would have no real complaint.  Unfortunately it is not.  Every evening, I spend several hours watching many TV shows of no real value other than that I like them.  Entertaining but not all that productive.  I need to do better.

It is Saturday morning as I write this and I have been watching nature shows on TV for the last two hours.  I like science shows.  I do not consider watching them to be a waste of my time as it is a form of learning.  I, however, have become a font of useless knowledge.  This morning, I learned about a tree in India that has foot long flowers that open up to look like Tiger Lilies.  What is the usefulness of this knowledge?  At the moment, I cannot think of any.  As far as I can tell, this interesting fact is now piled onto my store of useless knowledge.

I do need some entertainment but not all the time.  I could have studied calculus for thirty minutes each evening for the last ten years just by watching one less show.   It is much like a step back to my school days.  My parents would not let me watch TV unless my homework was done.  It was the same in college where I watched less TV so I could study at least enough to pass my courses and to graduate with a degree.  Maybe I can start studying again each evening.  

Like many men, I do spend a lot of time studying sports.  That is productive in some way.  I know lots of team and player stats and some game strategy.  That knowledge is not that far different from business management.  Managers study business stats and business strategy when preparing to make their decisions.  So studying sports is not such a wasteful use of my time.  The only issue is that I do not use these sporting skills in my job.  More useless knowledge?

TV folks can make all the wasteful shows they like.  I do not have to watch them.  It is up to me to do better.  I sit here thinking what can I do that would improve myself and improve the world?  I could have invented an amazing gizmo if I had indeed studied calculus for the last ten years.  I cannot draw but that would not stop me from creating some magnificent modern art based on, you guessed it, calculus.  You can see from this blog that I have discovered my interest in writing so I could write the next great novel that becomes a classic taught in every English class in the country.

It only takes a small bit of time, thirty minutes or so every evening, to improve my life and maybe the world.  It took me one hour to write this.  That takes care of today.  Now what to do in tomorrow's thirty minutes, start writing a script for Two and a Half Men?

2 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I wish you luck with your commitment! Although I don't watch tv during the day, I can't exactly feel superior, as I do spend most of the day looking at a computer screen.

The Urban Blabbermouth said...

I too will be in front of a computer screen for long periods. My company has online training courses. I have signed up. I am about to become a master of the Excel spreadsheet!