Skip to main content

Analyze This, Part 3: What to Wear

                           
After breakfast in the kitchen (where I tidied up the sink with a sheet of Kirkland Signature pick-a-size paper towel from Costco), and on my way to the bed- and bathrooms, I stop to love on my cat, who is lounging atop a printer cabinet, purchased at Walmart for about $30 and self-assembled. To make her sleeping area soft, I’ve given her a bath towel and one of my son’s old crib blankets, with a Disney Babies motif, purchased at Toys "R" Us in 1989. At 25 years of age, it qualifies (I think) as a genuine antique. When the cat wakes up from her nap, maybe I’ll steal her blankie and get it appraised on Antiques Road Show.

Okay, now it’s decision time. What to wear? I work in a corporate office, where the attire is Office Casual, and if there’s a more ambiguous phrase in the English language, I have yet to hear it. To me, “casual” means “sloppy.” My last job involved an 80-mile daily commute to a workplace that was dirty and noisy, and I was really glad to return to the home office, which is just a couple of miles from the house. I was able to get away with wearing company-logo microfiber shirts supplied by UniFirst; I wore pants that were seven or eight years old, frayed at the cuffs, faded from multiple washings. They looked much better when I first bought them at Kohl’s, bearing the Gloria Vanderbilt and Lee insignia. I typically wore striped ankle socks purchased at Big Lots, 4 pair for a dollar, and a pair of Champion athletic shoes, purchased at Payless. I also wore Fruit of the Loom and Hanes Her Way underwear, both synthetic and cotton varieties, purchased 10 to a pack at Walmart. My bra, a Playtex 18-hour, is so old, I don’t even remember where it came from. [Wait -- yes I do. I ordered it from One Hanes Place in 2007.] I’m referring to the one that fits, more or less. The other one was given to me as a gift from a co-worker whose mother died. Mom was the sort of person who would buy hundreds of dollars worth of clothes and never even take them off the hangers. This bra (a size too big) was one of those items. I’ll keep wearing it until I feel extravagant enough to buy a replacement in my size.

But in an office environment, I only get to wear denim on Fridays. And I don’t have a suitable pair of blue jeans for the office. All I have are Lee Relaxed Fit Boot Cut in black, purchased at Goodwill, where I have a loyalty card. I wear them once in awhile. My favorite jeans have paint splatters from a stint with Habitat For Humanity in 2005. They’re Lee Riders and so high-waisted, they qualify as Mom Jeans.

The footwear has improved, however. I can choose from Faded Glory tweed flats from Walmart, gray Jellypop loafers or RocketDog pink dressy flats from Shoe Carnival, Skechers boots from Zulily, or UnSensored faux patent loafers in my favorite color, fire-engine red, from Beyond the Rack. In a pinch, I can also wear my three-year-old tan Dexter boat shoes from Payless. I no longer worry about having a high instep (see my earlier post).

I choose an older pair of pale khakis, again Lee (even I see a pattern here), and a Croft & Barrow pullover from Kohl’s. I pull out a random pair of the aforementioned underwear, but instead of striped footy sox I nowadays opt for knee-hi’s. Today it’s a pair of Hanes Little Color, purchased on the Hanes website, with a modest return from Ebates. They look like they might have a run, so when my other pair gives up the ghost, I may have to BUY SOME MORE. Maybe they’ll stop calling me a barnacle!

Analyze This, Inquiring Minds want to know - part 1

Comments

The Urban Blabbermouth said…
Let's go back to the shower. You left out the brand of soap, shampoo, body lotion, and... loofah. P&G now feels unloved.

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.