Skip to main content

Time Flies

                           

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
Galileo said (at least I think it was him), that there is no such thing as time, only the intersection of planetary movement and aging, and what man perceives time passing is nature changing, aging, sunrise and sunsets, and the like.  In short, what we perceive as time is the changes in the world around us. I suppose that Galileo said this when he discovered that the earth revolves around the sun.

The Science
Planetary movement comes in two parts: earth rotation on its axis and solar orbit around the sun.  The earth rotates on its axis and we get day time and night time.  The earth rotation on its axis plus the movement around the sun, the solar orbit, gives us our four seasons. 
When the seasons repeat, we call that a year.

So, if we start counting the earth moving round and round in space, we end up with days and years.  Two days is two earth rotations on its axis and so on.  It takes the earth 365 rotations on the axis to get around the sun and for the seasons to start again. Two years becomes two earth rotations around the sun. 

Aging, in some scientific view, is our old cells continuously replaced with new cells, except that the new cells are not as good as the previous old cells.  The new cells are weaker.  Replace our cells enough times with weaker cells and our bodies will get weaker and weaker, older and older, until we die.

Our brains combines these two things -- our bodies getting weaker and the movement of the earth --
as one, and we see time.  At the intersection of planetary movement and aging, we say that time is passing when it's really our bodies changing and the earth changing position in space.  

Time, then, is just some man-made fantasy.  

The New Theory of Time
I am still getting old.  

Note: The illustration is by Lou Beach
and originally appeared in the New York
Times in 2010.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.