Skip to main content

My Selfies Help Books

                                 

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I am still a flawed human being.  What went wrong?  I have lots of self-help books, some three or four shelves worth in my bookcase.  With so many self-help books, I should be the perfect human being just short of God.

What went wrong is that none of the books made sense to me.  I read them but did not understand how to use them.  Sure, I understood that one can be more assertive or have more get up and go but just how do you do that?  What do I change? What do I say?   The self-help books could be flawed too, written as they are by other flawed human beings.

I did find two self-help books that helped me.  The Richest Man in Babylon helped me figure out money.  It was simple, no matter what happens, pay myself first.  The other book was The Four Agreements.  The “Don’t Take It Personally” section made sense to me.  If people don’t know you then what they say about you cannot be true.  

I continue to read self-help books for the small nuggets of wisdom I find there.  That’s why self-help books sell so well -- they work but you have to keep buying them until, by good luck, you stumble onto the right book. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.