Skip to main content

They call me Mister

                          
by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I ran into the president and senior vice president (SVP) of one of our divisions in the lobby of our office building.  Now I have known these two fellas a long time, since they were just lowly regular workers and well before they gained these exalted titles. I didn’t know if I can acceptably use their first names based on my long association with them.   It didn’t seem right to call them by their first names since they got these are high titles and I am still a low title guy.

So I fudged.  I called the president, “Mr. President”, a sly reference to how we refer to the President of the United States.  I though that this was a beautiful and clever bit of kissing up.  The SVP did not rate any special kissing up so, I called him by his first name.  He will have to wait until he moves further up the company.

This first name thing can get tricky. We are a relaxed company and use first names all the time.  That kind of familiarity gives a false sense that we are all really equals. I am not their equal. They are my bosses.  Why try to hide it or downplay it.

At least these two fellas did not use their titles as a way of saying that they are better than me.  They are better at running the company and making a ton of profits than I am.  I respect that level of skill and why I wanted to use some kind of formal address.  They greeted me in the friendly way of co-workers who have known each other a long time.  We reminisced a bit of the old days and had a relaxing moment.  Big titles comes with big responsibilities and they must feel it.  It was a pleasing part of our day and, in part, was my contribution for the day to successfully running the company.

At home, I tell the neighbor’s kids that I am Mr. Blabbermouth.  So they call me so.  I think that anything less, like Mr. Urban, is too informal for children to use.  If you pause to think about it, Father and Mother are titles too. For neighborhood children, Mr. Blabbermouth is good enough.

The British have Peers of the Realm titles, Your Highness or Lord So-and-So.  We do not use them here in America, a casualty of The American War of Independence.  Still, there may just be a Lord Blabbermouth in my future.  I still won't be able to address the Queen as Lizzie. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…