Skip to main content

I saw that!

                                
by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
An intern in my office remarked, “I wonder what my life will be like.”   I don’t know if the intern realized it but she wants the ability to know the future.
 
What she really means is, “…tell me all the good things that will happen to me in the future.”   Yes, she wants to hear that she will be offered a job that gets her to the CEO position, then she will leave there to start a new company that creates a product that saves lives and changes the world.  Tell her that her husband will be handsome, smart, kind, love only her, and will never look at another woman, ever.  Tell her that her children will be well behaved geniuses.

She also means, “…tell me all the awful things that will happen to me so that I can change it.”   By sheer coincidence, her next boss is an ungrateful terror but she saves his job when she comes up with a brilliant idea for a product.  Her boss now loves her and promotes her.  Plus, she is getting mugged and this hottie man rescues her.  They fall in love, marry, and live happily ever after.

I am sure she did not mean that she wants to know the really awful things.  Tomorrow, you will die.

But you know, life is not so simple.  Life gets complicated.   Let’s say that she ends up married to a wealthy man and has fifteen children, one per year for the next fifteen years.  Is that good or bad? I don’t know.  How about this: she leaves home, gets run over by a bus, but she has the winning lottery ticket in her pocket.


Perhaps she should have wanted something far simpler, like to read people’s minds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…