Skip to main content

May The Force be with you

                        

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
Antonia Potter, the current Wand Duel champion of the Wizards, and Donovan McGreggor, the Jedi Knight champion, bowed to each other in the battle arena, then assumed their combat stance.  She stood at attention, wand in hand, and he, in the En Garde pose, light saber at the ready.  They were the finalist in the Galactic Protection Forces Psi Combat Championships. 

The PCC was a two rule contest - only  extra-powered humans of the Galactic Protection Forces were allowed to compete and Do Not Kill Your Opponent.  Contestants interpreted the Do Not Kill rule to permit near lethal wounding with the unwritten proviso that the wound would not eventually hamper the combatant's military career. 

This was the moment that the fans waited for.  Long have they debated which was more powerful: wand backed with magic or light saber backed with The Force.  The Experts in these things were thrilled as they too were busy debating what was magic and what was The Force and was all this different sides of the same effect. The PCC Combatants had no such debate as each was busy ferociously glaring at each other.     

Donovan's pose was an invitation to Antonia to commence the contest with a light saber duel.  She whispered Lux Lumina and a blade of green light grew from the end of her wand.  Donovan immediately leaped into the air at her.  Antonia twirled to the right to parry and the clash of the light blades erupted in sparks.  Thrust-parry-twirl-sparks, thrust-parry-twirl-sparks, they went.  With each twirl, Antonia stepped backwards, losing ground, and approaching the edge of the arena.  Donovan's blade flew in an arc straight to her right shoulder and quickly changed directions moving toward her torso.  Antonia conjured a force field in front of her torso to block the blade.  She was using her magic to counter Donovan's use of his Force to sense her movements.

Antonia teleported to the opposite side of the arena and roared Stupefy.  Donovan, without looking, reached behind his back with his light saber and blocked the spell.  The spell ricocheted into the audience stunning the twenty or so fans who were too slow to put up a defensive block.   Another reason for the No Kill rule. 

Donovan turned, smiled, levitated Antonia and flipped her on her head.  Upside down, Antonia glowered at Donovan as she flew across the arena and ferociously re-engaged him in the light saber duel driving him backwards.  The audience erupted into applause.

Antonia smiled recalling how much she enjoyed the last evening that she and Donovan were in this kind of sixty-nine position.  Distracted, she was not in time to parry Donovan's light saber swinging low, through her defense, to smite her on her head.  Unconscious, down she went and it was over.  Donovan was the Galactic Protection Forces Psi Combat Champion.

Comments

Vol-E said…
See, there really is nothing new under the sun, or any of the other stars.
Write on, my friend!
-Vol-E Wan Kenobi

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…