Skip to main content

Getting a Late Start on Early January

                        

by Vol-E

At Christmastime in 2014, I was enjoying the used desktop computer I had bought for a song from the I.T. department at my workplace. Things at home were a little awkward and out of order because my son Wally had moved in with us and we were still transitioning the office I'd used for 7 years into his private space. But for both of us, it was nice having an up-to-date, fast computer.

At least until just after Christmas. Then the new computer died with no warning. Having been without a reliable machine for some time, I was in the habit of saving everything to the cloud, so I didn't lose much other than the pleasure of typing with two hands and being able to surf to my heart's content. I simply went back to using my Android phone as a computer.

But just before that mini-calamity, I had suggested to my friend The Urban Blabbermouth that we post a recap of the year we'd had. It was embarrassing not to be fully able to follow through with something I had suggested, and I appreciate the extent that he was able to do so.

ALL THAT HAS NOW CHANGED...mwahahahaha.

Overall, 2015 has been instrumental in helping me rediscover the concept of gratitude. It was the year we finally sent Murphy packing. Murphy is best known for his law: Whatever can go wrong, will. Since 2008 or so, we'd seen so many “unfortunate events” that Murphy's Law was on a par with Newton's Laws of Thermodynamics. We'd gotten out of the habit of even questioning it.

A friend at church said, back in 2012 or thereabouts, “I admit it – I'm lucky. When I want something, it comes to me.” I remember thinking, must be nice. For quite awhile, wishing for anything seemed to have precisely the opposite effect from what was desired.

One of the very few wishes that DID come true during that long, dry interlude was the election of Barack Obama, and so many progressive initiatives being signed into law. Bit by bit, the tide seemed to turn. I'd been waiting for it for a long time, like 40-some years. Ask all my liberal friends on Facebook. We've been patiently waiting for everybody else to regain their sanity.

So, yeah, it's been a good year in that regard. But there's so much more. I am not phoning this in from the Beyond, so my health continues to hold up. Other than missing two half-days in January for a head cold (which nobody really noticed because the weather was so horrible), I'm in line for one of those gold sticky-stars they used to give us for perfect attendance. I also had a mini-stroke in early July, but the fact that I can admit this, and at the same time brush it off, indicates that the appropriate amount of attention was paid, and it didn't mess up my life for more than half an hour or so. And no, I didn't miss any time at work.

One year ago, we were living out of a dorm-sized fridge on loan from a friend. Our full-sizer, which had come with the house 9 years before, died on us, and we weren't in a position to replace it right away. Eventually, though, that situation improved, and in late March, we had a big, beautiful, roomy fridge, and even the funds to fill it. Yay us. Just another thing to file under “You don't know what you've got till you ain't got it.”

I'm thankful for Wally, who came back East after seven years and found some good reasons to stay. The main reason is Sarah. I'm in line to be a mother-in-law and a grandmother this year. I'm truly tickled pink, no longer needing to be jealous of all my friends who are constantly kvelling about their cherubic descendants.

Another great event for 2015 was my 40th class reunion. It's technically supposed to be this year, but the sad truth is that nearly a tenth of our class has already passed on, and another large contingent faces ill health. We didn't want to wait another year. “Miss King” and I made the trip from Tennessee to New York in early October. We had been expecting a multi-day resort vacation on Long Island, but those plans fell through. We had a wonderful time anyway. The reunion itself was only a few hours long, at a pub near the high school, and the turnout was meager – but it was enough to acquire several more Facebook friends, and to have some surprisingly deep conversations with the people who know you best. We cruised the streets of our hometown and got reacquainted with the kinds of food you can only get in New York.

That includes Carvel Ice Cream. They really don't have Carvel in Tennessee, at least not in conveniently located stands like they have up north. The Urban Blabbermouth, under considerable pressure from his wife and me, got cones for the three of us at a mall on a Sunday. It was wonderful seeing them again after a couple of decades. What a lovely day that was. My next stop was Oktoberfest at a local park, where I had the chance to meet up with yet another high school friend.

No trip to Long Island would be complete without Jones Beach, so we went there, too. One of my old friends from those heady days of writing fanfiction met us there. We collected seashells, waded in the surf, and reminisced about our high school beach days, when we lay on the sand slathered in dermatologically incorrect suntan oil, checkin' out the guys and letting Three Dog Night and Grand Funk Railroad blast from our tinny radios.

I wanted that trip. I got it.

Same for the fridge. And my son settling down nearby and being happy. Reconnecting with my best friends. Adding to our feline menagerie with a wild little tabby named Gizmo.

Oh, and remember how this post started off? I'm now the proud owner of a NEW Windows® 10 PC.

There isn't much more I can ask for … except, ahem, a favorable outcome in the November elections.

VOTE, y'all.

Vote.



Happy, Happy 2016!

Comments

Ipecac said…
Glad things are going well. :-)
What a heartening post! I am so happy to hear that the universe is being kind to you at last (well, except for the mini-stroke). Stay well, stay happy, stay lucky.

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…