Skip to main content

Love and Learn

                

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
BAP! Carol's slap rang in my head and through it I heard her say, "Don't do that again."  Carol was my high school girlfriend. She did not object to my squeezing her booty as I had her permission to do that sort of thing.  No, Carol objected that I did this at a party in front of our friends.

Carol and I, along with our friends, were post-puberty relationship novices.  We did dumb things*.  We were struggling to learn the new rules of behavior between boys and girls, not to mention the new rules of competition between boys and boys and between girls and girls.

Flash Forward...We are now fully grown into adulthood and we are still post-puberty relationship novices.  

In my office, there are Office Husbands and Office Wives. One of the Office Wives was chatting with an intruding male.  It was a typical work conversation, How are you? How was your week-end? How the company does not appreciate us working folks, that sort of thing.  Her Office Husband went out of his way to invade his Office Wife's cubicle, standing next to her, and putting his arm around the back of her chair.  That's office behavior for mine, mine.  I am sure that I did hear him growling at the intruding male.

Women are not immune but they are more subtle than men. Once, I saw a woman flirting with an Office Husband. They were smiling and laughing happily. His Office Wife saw this too and took umbrage. She went over and interrupted the conversation with something innocuous just to show the other woman "keep away, he is mine.

Yup, still post-puberty relationship novices.



--------------------------
*That squeeze was my sign to my peers of my alpha male status -- this beautiful, sexy, desirable girl was mine and I can do this but you cannot. Carol, in opposite sex fashion, thought something like, "If he can do this to me then they (guys) will think they can do this too."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…