Skip to main content

Black is the new Orange

                 
by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
Having the day off from work for the President's Day holiday, I decide to be lazy, to do no house chores, no work tasks, absolutely nothing.  I decide to go sit in an exclusive high-priced mall.  You know the kind, one with Nordstrom's, Neiman Marcus, and a Zamboni that follows you around removing your dirt and scuffs from the highly polished marble floors as you walk.  I choose a spot outside Nordstrom's near the coffee bar.

Sitting at one of their fancy tables, sipping my fancy coffee and doing nothing transported me to the type of Paris street cafe that we have seen in the movies.  The problem, though, is that in the movies, the Parisians are all stylishly dressed.  Not here.

A hundred or so shoppers stream by me like a runway show at New York's Fashion Week.  I see a terrible lack of elegance.  Most shoppers are in black or blue jeans and some uninteresting dark top.  None with any style or color or elegance.


You would think that the people going to an upscale mall like this, shopping in Nordstrom's and Neiman Marcus, would pick up their style.  I imagine that the women should spend lots of time carefully picking out their outfits for the shopping excursion.  Yet, I see no elegance. 
Curiously, the mothers dress their five-year old babies better than themselves in colorful and pretty outfits.  To be fair, the guys are slobs and don't seem particularly concerned how they dress either. 

I did see a snow bunny.  She wore black leggings, a gray sweater, a black parka draped on her arm, and the obligatory furry boots in matching black.  
 
The best dressed people were Nordstrom's employees.  Nordstom's has a requirement that the employees wear black.  I saw some very elegant women in black. They confirm the sartorial magnificence of the little black dress.  There were some women wearing black leggings with patterns, also lovely.  I was struck by one lady whose leggings had a black stripe down the side just like one would see on a military uniform.  


There were some other expressive women too.  One older lady wore a gold lame wrap around her black tunic.  Another, and I add quite young, wore black leggings with a black boots that came up to her knees and the boots had huge gold zippers up the back and... matching gold heels.

I must say that male employees looked elegant in a well fitted suits and ties.  It's hard to beat the form and elegance of black suits, white shirts, and a skinny black tie.  Too bad men do not dress that way any more.  


The best dressed man was not a Nordstrom's employee as he walked in the opposite direction after he bought his coffee.  This gentleman looked to me like one of the metrosexual types one sees on television.  He wore a black jacket with a pale yellow shirt and a bold yellow tie with a blue pattern.  He had on beige slacks and his shoes were, get this, a two-toned beige and blue oxfords.  His final touch was a large diamond stud earring that sparkled fire under the mall lights.  A bit feminine for my tastes but he did carry it off well, something I don't think I could do.

Now that I think on it, it's the same at work - no elegance.  Dress down Friday has become dress down all week.  I cannot remember seeing any elegantly dressed co-workers.  Perhaps they are on another floor.

Tomorrow morning, I am going to dress
in my black jeans, fancy leather walking shoes, in black of course, and a plain white shirt.  I will sit in the lobby of my office building, Starbucks coffee in hand, and just watch.

Comments

Vol-E said…
You're absolutely right. No one dresses up for anything anymore. We're old enough to remember when people wore their best clothes for flying on an airplane. Women wore skirts, stockings and high heels for this. Nowadays the heels would probably be considered a deadly weapon. And a man wearing a tie? They'd assume you were preparing to strangle someone.

Is that what the phrase "fashion victim" really means???
I can recall women wearing white gloves on occasion, and not woolen ones either.
I guess, though, that you can consider yourself lucky that you didn't sit outside Walmart to drink your coffee.
I did consider sitting at Walmart but realized that would be like looking in the mirror or staring into my closet.

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…