Saturday, March 12, 2016

The Word of the Lord

                       

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
This morning I am crossing the street to my office building and my mind is busy organizing the work I have to do today.  A man is crossing my path and I misjudge the distance from him and I step on the back of his shoe.  He turns to look at me with a hostile look on his face.  I call out, “sorry, sorry.”  He nods and his face turns to neutral and he goes on his way. 

There is magic in Sorry.  It cures pain and diminishes anger.  Think how many fights on crowded buses would stop if someone said sorry.  Think how many lawsuits would go away if there was a sorry somewhere in there.

It is Sorry not love that has the magic.  You can’t say “love you” to a stranger.  They would not believe you.  Worse, they would think you a predator or, at best, weird.  But, you can say sorry to a stranger and smooth over any ruffled feelings.

You can abuse people followed by a sorry and the sorry will still work its magic.  I remember a colleague who would always interrupt anyone in conversation to tell you his opinion.  He always prefaced his interruption with a “sorry to interrupt” and it worked.  We put up with his behavior.

There are some who never learn the Magic of Sorry.  They see it as a weakness for them to say sorry.  Their lives must have many fractious moments.  The Magic of Sorry does work on them when someone else says sorry.  I feel sorry for them. 

You can’t over use Sorry.  Don’t be surprised when you see yourself glowing with the Magic of Sorry the more you use it.

1 comment:

Vol-E said...

There was a time, during the 1980s, when nearly any attempt to apologize (and I had plenty of opportunities) was met with "Sorry doesn't help!" After awhile, I just stopped saying it. Time-jump to about 10 years ago, and I had one boss who LOVED it when you said sorry. She herself never actually said it -- her version of it was "My bad" -- but it was so easy to defuse a tense situation with a simple apology. It was like the sun breaking through after a long winter when forgiveness came back into vogue.