Skip to main content

I am better than you

                         

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~

Here’s a question for you, who is the fastest man in the world today?  Officially, it is Usain Bolt of Jamaica, West Indies. 

Unofficially, it is someone else whom you have never heard of.  Somewhere out there in the world, there is a man who is faster than Usain Bolt.  You don’t know who he is and you never will.  Although faster than Usain Bolt, this unknown man has no interest in running and so will not run the 100 meter dash thus never revealing himself to us.  BTW, go in person to see Usain Bolt run if you can.  You will be amazed at how fast a human being can run.

There may be another person in the world who is better at tennis than Serena Williams but that person has no interest in playing tennis and, in fact, may not like tennis at all.  That same scenario applies to A-Rod in baseball, Tiger Woods in golf, and so on.

Let’s not stop at sports.  Just pick your favorite trait and there will be someone better.  There is always someone funnier, smarter, prettier, or nicer.  There may be someone who is better at mathematics than… who is the greatest mathematician in the world anyway?  There may be someone better than Bill Gates at computers, or President Obama at running the United States of America but those other folks have no interest in taking on the job. 

Isn’t it odd that someone can be the greatest at a sport and have no interest in it or may have come to dislike it.  You would think that if someone is the greatest at something, they would have the natural inclination to pursue it.  Maybe they did and they had a bad experience, such as bullying on the basketball court, that convinced them to go another way.  Maybe their families discourage them with advice like get a job that pays more.  Maybe they never discovered that they were the greatest in the world because they skipped calculus class.  The list of reasons can be long. 

As great as these folks are at one thing, they are busy doing something else.  The curious thing is that they may well end up the worst person at that something else.  That guy who is faster than Usain Bolt, he is busy learning mathematics and will end up the worst mathematics teacher in the world. 

Suppose that one of the unknown great ones discovers the truth about themselves and emerges upon the world.  Well, guess what, there is always someone better.  The very next day, a replacement savant will be born.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…