Skip to main content

Life never stops moving

                    
by The Urban Blabbermouth
~

Life never stops.  My father died.  I am so sad. He died on the same day as one of my little cousin's sixth birthday.   I suppose as there are only 365 days each year and some billions of people in the world, it is inevitable that families will share birth and death on the same day. 

Life never stops.  Millions of people share my birthday.  I have only met one of them and she turned out to be some twenty plus years younger than I.  Funny, she also turns out to remind me of me but a much better and nicer version.

Life never stops.  I sit at dinner with my wife and think that one day, there will only be one of us sitting here having dinner.

Life never stops.  I think about all my family who came before.  Beyond Great Grands, who remembers?  In three generations, I will be joining my forebears, lost to memory, but still living in the bodies of those generations to come.

Life never stops.  One day I was shaving and I looked into the mirror and thought that as I get older, I look more and more like my father.  When I was younger, I thought I looked more like my mother.  Now I have my father's receding and balding head, his flat behind, and share our notable family nose.

Life never stops
It is so strange to think of my father as still.  He was never still in life.  He was always doing.  One day he had naught to do so he waxed the furnace.

Life never stops.  Rest In Peace my father.  See you one day.

Comments

I am so sorry for the loss of your father.
Thank you. It happened so quickly, within a week after I got a call that he was in hospital.

RIP

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…