Skip to main content

Do you write English

               Image result for typo autocorrect
By The Urban Blabbermouth
~
Now that I have spent several years writing for this blog, I have, quite unintentionally I assure you, turned into a writer.

I know this because I have come to notice how tricky words are. As write, I type as fast as I can to get my thoughts on screen before I forget what I want to say. I am a terrible typist so I make mucho mistakes. I hit the key next to the key I wanted, I transpose letters, or worse, I just simply misspell words. Every once in a while, I hit one of those control keys and a mysterious window opens, or weird characters appear on my screen, or my document starts to print out.

I rely heavily on my spell checker to catch my typing mistakes. But the English language being what the English language is, the spell checker catches the mistakes and substitutes the wrong word. I am really annoyed by this. Here I am typing furiously trying to get what I hope is an amazing story out of my head before I lose my idea, and my concentration is interrupted by the wrong words. My writing folder is full of ideas that went, poof, into thin air.

Somewhere in repeated cursing at my spell checker, I began to notice how simply changing one letter changes a word. For instance, cork so easily becomes dork and short becomes shot. Close but such different meanings and usages. Sometimes I combine mistakes, change a letter with a transposition of another letter and end up with an unexpected and quite saucy result, boost into boobs. You can see why that one stuck in my mind.

If the word has many letters, then it becomes harder to spot, previous becomes pervious. I found out that there are words when reversed spell another word. I have no idea what they are called but here is one: star reversed turns into rats.

I have started to wonder where words come from. I was writing the word tomorrow, messed up the spelling and the spell checker came up with to morrow. The spell checker guessed I wanted to write two words instead of one. I didn't realize that tomorrow was composed of two words until then. It's probably a phrase from a poetic Shakespearean speech - for to morrow may bring such sweet sorrow - that eventually got mispronounced into one word.

It's ironic that as I write this post, my spell checker is throwing up curious words that I did not intend. I give you a hint: hint became hing and where became whee. You figure out the rest.

Now that I have discovered that I like words and their formations, I am starting to feel like a writer. I am getting ambitious too. I want my stories to be more interesting and fabulous than they already are. I will enroll in a writing course. I want to move to the next level, from an amateur writer to a hack writer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.