Skip to main content

Soulmate

             Image result for well-dressed strangers meet across a crowded room

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
She wanted to fuck him, this man not her husband, right now, at her daughter's wedding, in the bridal party's dressing room.

Kathy saw him for the first time as he entered the reception room and greeted her daughter. A warm feeling formed in her chest, her heart fluttered and her breathing quickened. The feeling moved to her stomach where she felt a hunger for him and could have hugged and held him to her for eternity. The feeling moved lower still and she felt him there too.

Her daughter introduced him as Jerry, a colleague, and Kathy recognized that she had just met one of her soulmates. It was a fortuitous encounter. Although she had numerous soulmates all over the world - a situation we all share - they are exceedingly hard to find. Her last had been her husband and that had been twenty-two years earlier.

She wondered about the differences between her husband and this man. Her husband was a family man, a quiet man, a hard-working man, and a moderately passionate man. Jerry was a handsome man, wore an expensive suit, so there was some money there, and a very sociable man about-the-world. He wore no ring. She wondered what kind of person she would have become, had she married this man.

Kathy freed her imagination to build on what little she knew of him and imagined a happier life than she had now. Unhappiness had entered her marriage years before when her husband had betrayed their marriage with another woman, one whom he could not claim as one of his soulmates.

After much champagne, dancing, and giggling, she took Jerry's hand and led him to the dressing room.

She was happy. The wrongness of this made a rightness, a re-balancing in her marriage. There remained only one more ritual.  Later, Kathy brought her husband to the dressing room for her encore performance.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…