Skip to main content

Fame with no Name

                   Image result for walking past building commemorative plaque
by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
At some moment, we begin to wonder why are we here and what to do with being here.  That moment tends to come when we are at life’s solstice, that moment when we are equidistant in years in front as years in back. 

Psychologists call that moment, a mid-life crisis.  The quickest way to answer the “OMG, what have I done with myself” moment is to look at your accomplishments, the ones that mattered, the ones that changed the world. 


There are great and accomplished people amongst us.  They surround us.  There are statues naming the greats, parks named after them, or perhaps a plaque or two somewhere mentioning their names in bronze.  I have seen buildings with people’s names and I have no idea who they are.   As it turns out, my name does not appear in any of those places.

My accomplishments are not public and are harder to discern.  Sometime in my life, I said a kind word to a person who went on to have a child and that child went on to save the world.  Yes, it’s my fault that this Scientist with an Unknown Name found a cure for cancer.  There will be statues erected to this genius, parks, universities named after this person, and nothing for me who started it off.   A bit unfair perhaps, but I find the idea intriguing because even I, guilty of the good deed, did not know I started it all.  

I have this idea that, one day if not already, I will help a young person at a crucial crisis moment in their life and they will go on to become an MD and end up as my doctor in my old age as I am dying in hospital and they won’t know it’s me and I won’t know it’s them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…