Skip to main content

The Last Wizard - part 2


Image result for magic tricks at pool partyby The Urban Blabbermouth
~
Please read the first part of The Last Wizard before reading this part. Thanks.


* * *
It was Mats’s eleventh birthday.  He sat at the pool-side table waiting for his birthday party to start. Robert, his teenage cousin, waited with him. A water balloon appeared over Mats's head.


“What???” Mats screamed as the cold water drenched him.


He stood, eyes blazing, looking around for the attacker. He turned towards the laughter, and there, across the yard, were his little sisters, the oldest holding a water balloon. Mats stepped toward his sisters, stopped, stretched out his arm and pointed his finger at them. The balloon rose from the girl's hand into the air and burst over the pair. They screamed as the cold water drenched them. Robert burst out laughing as he tossed a towel to Mats from the pool-side rack.


“See, that is what you get for being pests!” Mats yelled at them as he toweled himself.


“You are so awful. We just wanted you to loosen up so you will have some fun," Mary yelled back.


"You are so stiff and such a party pooper,” said Stephanie joining the yelling.


Mary led Stephanie across the yard to the towel rack. Drying off, Mary pointed, “Mats, where’s your headband?”


Mats reach up touching his head, “I don’t know.”


The sisters and Robert stared at his head.


“How did you port the water balloon?” asked Mary, wide-eyed, mouth open.


“I don’t know,” replied Mats frowning while sliding his fingers around his head.


“It’s not possible. Someone else must have done it,” said Robert.


“Must be, but who? No one else here but the four of us,” said Mats.


They looked around the yard and saw none but themselves. They looked at each other confirming Mats was the only person present without a headband.


“Mats,” said Mary slowly, “I…I think you did it.”


“No, it can’t be,” said Mats shaking his head side to side.


Robert replied, “I didn't do it and the girls wouldn't do it to themselves." Robert looked at the sisters, they nodded their heads. Robert turned to Mats, "It must be you."


All stared at Mats, none moving.


In a low voice, Mary said, "Maybe we should go tell Granpa.”


Mats’s magic was born on his eleventh birthday.


Mats’s parents took him to the doctors. This was a natural response to a magical event from people who were believers in science.  After of year of tests, including a full body scan with the experimental FRIMI (pronounced, free me) technology, the doctors found no cause for Mats's magical ability.  


* * *


Mage sat on his ancient wing-back chair and watched his twelve year old grandson, Mats, practice porting three mugs across the work bench at the same time, without a headband and only with a hand gesture. One mug apparated in mid-air, missing the end of the table, falling on the floor.


“You are still thinking of the mugs as three separate items, 1-2-3." Mage tapped the arm chair three times. "Think of them as a group, 3." He tapped the arm chair once, "then port."


“Oh, OK,” replied Mats.


Mats ported the mugs in mid-air over the table and they fell with a clang. He stopped, sat on the stool by the bench.


"Granpa, where does magic come from?"


"Some say from God. Some say from the Devil. Some say from people of another planet who moved here."


"What do you say Granpa?"


"You know when you think I will run across the yard, and your body knows how to run there," Mats nodded, "magic is like that. Magic is somewhere inside of us and comes out when asked. Magic maybe part of what your scientists would call consciousness."


"I still don't understand what has happened to me," said Mats.


Mage believed that Mats’s headband opened a channel to the source of magic. Science, for all their effort, had made no headway into the mysteries of consciousness. So what could their tests on Mats reveal? How many more children will turn magical? How powerful are such wizards? What about those with no magical ancestry? We will have to wait and see.


"It's a miracle," answered Mage smiling at Mats. "Now, Apprentice, enough talk. Continue your exercise."


Mage chuckled. No, it was not a miracle, it was science.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…