Skip to main content

I See Clothing


                 Image result for clothing to hide or emphasize

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It's Sunday afternoon and once again, I am sitting in Nordstrom's cafe, sipping Nordstrom's coffee, watching Nordstrom's shoppers.  After an hour or so of boredom, the people are much the same - shopping, walking around, mingling with friends - I begin to notice how women dress and how men dress.

Women's style is all about their body. I see Spandex to show off hourglass curves, low-cut blouse to show off cleavage, miniskirts to show off legs, short shorts to show off butt cheeks, tight jeans to show off both hips and legs at the same time, and yoga pants to show off ... well you know what. Then there are the women in sweats to hide their apple curves, long tunics to hide their hips, and baggy clothes to hide their weight.

Men's style is rarely about body unless you are a gym rat. Gym rats show off their six-pack abs and that's about it for men's bodies. That guy with the horrible and unhealthy beer barrel belly wears a tee and doesn't make any attempt to hide it.

Men's fashion is about a look. Men wear tees and jeans if they are going for the comfortable suburban simplicity, low thigh waisted baggy pants with long white tees if they are going for the urban look, football jerseys if they are going for the sport fanatic look, fitted suits --yes men still wear suits -- if they are going for the Mad-Men look, bow ties if they are going for the professorial look, and a sweater with dress pants if they are going for the outdated preppy look.

Fashion is hard on women. You name a body part and women are showing it off or worrying over it. Women can use fashion to cover up offending body parts if they want. Men have it easy. Men only care about one body part, the one that does all their thinking, the one where size matters, but, here is the dark side, there is no covering up a shortage there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…