Skip to main content

Root Canal? Why, I'd LOVE one, thanks!

                      Image result for scary dentist
                Photo: Steve Martin as Orrin Scrivello, DDS in Little Shop of Horrors

by Vol-E

You know how people say "I'd rather have a root canal than..." with the blank filled in by "attend a teacher conference" or "drive across the country with my mother-in-law" or "pick up after my dog" or what-have-you.

Well, I've had nearly half a dozen root canals over the last few decades. No, they're not especially enjoyable, but I can't remember any episodes of PTSD that resulted from them. I guess the worst thing you can say about them is, they always require more than two visits to the dentist. Sometimes more than three. First you go for a routine visit (or maybe not so routine -- maybe you're hurtin' for certain). The dentist tentatively gives you the bad news, with body language that suggests he's expecting you to hit him. [Pardon the sexism -- I've never met a female dentist or even heard of one. Plenty of female hygienists, though, and a few reeeeeeally scary ones!]

Okay, so then the next visit is for the actual procedure. Novocain, wait a REALLY long time, drill, more Novocain, drill, spit, rinse, repeat, temporary crown.

But that's not the worst part. No, for me it's that last visit. When they fit you with the permanent crown. That's always the most tedious part. They stick this little piece of paper in your mouth and direct you to bite it, so they can tell if the crown fits properly or not. Well, the problem with this is, the dentist always believes that little piece of paper. If it has no bite marks, they assume the crown fits just fine, whereas YOU know otherwise. When you tell them, they look annoyed that they're going to have to do extra work.

Even that, however, isn't exactly a nightmare. It's more of an inconvenient hassle. It's over soon enough, and then all you have to remember the experience by is the bill, which generally takes 9-10 years to pay off. You get it paid off right around the time the other side of your mouth decides to start acting up.

All in all, root canals don't constitute the nadir of my existence.

Nah. There are plenty of things that can make life a true misery:

  • Scheduling in Microsoft Outlook. So-and-so is visiting the office and wants to meet with about a dozen different people in the company. They have 2 days available and will probably need to spend about an hour with each person. No matter how you slice it, someone always comes back saying they can't meet at that time slot, and the juggling is excruciating and goes on forever, to no one's complete satisfaction. And of course, it's all the juggler's fault.
  • Haircuts and manicures. What? you ask. Those are luxuries! Indulgences! You're getting pampered! Not when the hairdresser informs me that they've never seen hair as awful, damaged and neglected as mine, and why don't I come in every eight weeks or so, like a normal, self-respecting woman would? I can't think of anything I enjoy more than being lectured by a 22-year-old. Or having a non-English-speaking manicurist frown and point at my ragged cuticles. Um, excuse me, I have to leave now. I hear the siren song of a dentist's drill!
  • Medical offices that charge you a fortune and then turn your account over to a strong-arm collection agency when you send them a partial payment -- even when you make the same partial payment faithfully every month. The way I see it, the nasty, threatening phone calls should be reserved for true dead-beats. Not sick-beats like me.
  • Explaining when it gets in the way of the doing. Honestly, instead of asking me why I do a particular thing the way I do it, you should try it and see. A little less talk, a little more action.
I'll stop here. I'm starting to sound like the late Andy Rooney, who would start out his gripe-fests with "Ever notice...?" Admittedly, his complaints were relatable to many of life's little annoyances. But I tuned into 60 Minutes for hard-hitting investigative reporting. Not folksy little fillers designed to make the viewer say "Awwww!"  

Cutesy, fluffy news. Yet another thing that makes me want to call up my dentist and ask him if he has a free hour coming up.

Now spit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memoir - The Year of Kent State

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
I wanted to write a fictional memoir and it got away from me. 

Original
I was born in the Year of Kent State. I didn't know. I was watching a cable channel specializing in historical programs, in this case, newsworthy events from the 1970s. The Ohio National Guard shot 13 unarmed students protesting the Vietnam War on the Kent State University campus. Four students died. By the time I was aware of a bigger world than my own, Kent State passed into history.

Im gonna git u Sukkah

by The Urban Blabbermouth [who may or may not be shown in the photo above... - v-E] ~ True story. I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty somethings, with the bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.

Climbing to New Heights

by The Urban Blabbermouth
~
It started when I was ten.  I was riding shotgun with my father when a small plane crossed the highway in front of us.  The plane floated gently to its landing, like it had all the time in the world.  It was beautiful.  I knew then I wanted to be a pilot.  

I dreamed of soaring with the clouds and flying through them.  I could go anywhere the crow flies.  No stuck in traffic following a road as laid out by some anonymous engineer.  I could fly with the birds, although, I never thought myself a bird.  I loved the freedom.

But, I fear heights.  

It's not just any heights, it's low heights, the kind you get with stairs, balconies, bridges, and landing airplanes.  When I fly on airlines as a passenger, I look out the window at thirty thousand feet, no fear.  Somewhere between six feet, my height, and thirty thousand feet, airplane's height, lives my fear, a mysterious feeling that emerges from my stomach and rises up into my chest.  I can't…